Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Every Season is A "Swell Season"

If you have not heard the musical wonder known as "The Swell Season" than I suggest you do so asap! Since being introduced to Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (a.k.a. The Swell Season) I have come just about as close to my teeny-bopper stage of obsessing over 'N Sync as I can... yes I was one of "those". I would blame Justin Davies for introducing them to me but I have only him to thank really.

For about 2 weeks I didn't listen to anything else but the Once soundtrack. If you didn't know, Glen and Marketa won the Oscar for Best Original Song for "Falling Slowly" in the movie Once. I decided I must see the movie which turned out to be a wise decision and only intensified my desire to hear more. Luckily with the help of Davies I was able to and man, oh man, it gets better every time. One day he told me they were coming in concert and I about fell over partly because I was so excited for them to come and partly because my family was going to Disneyland possibly that day! I delayed buying a ticket and tried talking my parents into leaving the next morning so that I could go to the concert. This worked in my behalf because they agreed to wait until Saturday to leave and my birthday was in the mix so Davies gave me a ticket as a present (such a good friend!).

Well, the concert was last Friday, May 2, and Davies and I got there super early so that we could be as close to the front as possible. Somehow these people got to go in before us and had taken spots right at the stage. Dumb! We were a little bummed out but stayed optimistic because second row is still great! After waiting another hour the opening artist came out. He was Liam O Maonlai from Ireland and even though his music was really folk and he sang in Irish and Old English he was quite entertaining and really rather good! We then, of course, had to wait another half hour or so and during which I became a bit sleepy but then I had a peak through the side curtains and sure enough, it was Glen... that woke me up! I then realized (as if I needed a realization) that he was going to be right in front of me singing! That was the moment I decided that I was in love with Glen Hansard. I told Davies right then and come to find out, so is he! HA! He can call it just a "Man Crush" all he wants but I know what he really means...

Anyway, so finally the moment comes when Glen comes on stage. He opened by singing "Say It To Me Now" which is the first song I ever heard of his and, oh wow! Couldn't have opened the concert in a better way. I love watching him sing anyway because he gets so intense with every song as if it's the only song he has so to give it his all but to see it in person was amazing! It's kind of cheesy, but it reminded me of past dancing days when I would 'get in the zone' for each dance when performing or competing, so I can totally relate! (only half being sarcastic) The intensity of every song, even the ones from Glen's previous band The Frames, that I don't know, but soon will, were so awesome I cannot even describe it.

The people that had been standing in front of us the whole night had increasingly become intoxicated and one decided to make a new friend and invite her down to be with him. As into the concert as I was it's hard not to notice the progress these 2 were making throughout the evening and at one point just started to kiss non discretely. Awesome. Glen noticed them going at it, so he looked at me, pointed at them and gave a chuckle. I laughed, shrugged my shoulders and tried focusing on the concert again. Davies missed it all because he was checking the Jazz score from his brother and sister at the game, which is a good excuse, but won't get him eye contact with his secret love, i mean, man crush (whatever).

Song after song were sung and the enjoyment of the evening 'swell'ed by every minute. The end came all too soon but even though I was pretty much speechless I will be talking about this movie, band, and concert for some time to come.

(Now that school is out and I don't really own a camera anymore I spaced bringing one to the concert. Idiot! Luckily Davies was smart and brought one. The following are a select few, courtesy of Justin Davies.)

Liam O Maonlai

Glen Hansard

Glen's guitar. How neat is that?!

Glen and Marketa singing "Into the Mystic"... I think

Glen just singing his heart out!

Davies and I afterward showing our cheesy approval... well he is cheesy and I just approve :)

3 comments:

Justin said...

WOOOOOO HOO!!!

Great stuff. The greatest stuff.

I also don't like your many insinuations, not at all... ;)

Linds Forrest said...

I am so intrigued about this music, I am going to download it and check it out! I love your hair, you look great my friend! Hopefully on a wim you are coming to Lagoon next weekend so I can see you and hear all about your graduation and your life!! And I am glad this Davies guy is such a good friend to you!

Leah and Mike said...

Hey Jenny! This is Leah Dyer. I found your blog through Brandi's. I'm so glad I can see what you're up to these days...it's been a long time :) Looks like you are doing great and you look as cute as ever. Our blog is: www.mldyerfamily.blogspot.com. Cute blog, Jen!