Sunday, October 12, 2008

Project Time

Who wants a project? I do! I do! Pick me!

Ok, so it wasn't quite as enthusiastic as that but the idea of redoing the upstairs, which includes my bedroom, was pretty exciting. It has been the same since we moved in 15 years ago with the exception of Brian moving out and Tyler moving into his room and the never ending dejunking I seem to have to do. So the idea of a change? Bring it on.

My parents went shopping for new carpet a few weeks ago and found some they liked. I will no longer have pink carpet. Yes. Then my mom brought up the option to get new furniture. What? I can get a new bedroom set? Yee-haw. I don't know why this idea didn't occur to me but then it was all exciting to try and find just what I liked. My mom and I went out looking and oddly enough both ended up buying the first sets we saw. Love at first sight if you will. So the dates were set for installation and delivery. Hm, what to do between now and then... Oh yeah, take down wallpaper, move everything downstairs, and paint the walls. Oh joy...

This is me looking happy to take down wallpaper. False. It was a HUGE pain and I will never ever have wallpaper in my home.


With the wallpaper finally off next I had pack up my room and move it downstairs. To the right is a picture of what I am currently living in. It's a good thing we're leaving for Arizona next week. It's not so bad actually, except I can't remember what is in each box. By the time I figure it out I'll have new stuff to move it into. Yahoo!


So now that the bedroom is empty, minus my bed, time to paint. The taping wasn't bad at all. Cake walk. My mom and Ann are champs and painted along the trimming and corners of each room so I was ready to paint the walls. Seems pretty easy right? Goo. The color is only slightly darker than what was there before but when wet is about the same color. It was hard to tell where I'd already painted and not go out of control and get the trimming. I decided to try the ceiling and that was even worse. Its so awkward looking up, dodging dropping paint, and using muscles I didn't know I had. Luckily my dad is a sweetheart and took over for me. Thanks dad! Once that was dry I switched the tape and painted the trim and closet doors. That wasn't so bad actually except when your brush bristles separate and start to curl.


Taping around the toilet. Gross. Oh yeah, we painted the bathroom walls too.





Ann and I in a paint fight. Ok not really, but that would have been very fun.






Ask me if I like painting. No, no I don't. Except for maybe finger painting. Ask me if I'm still debating painting one or all of my walls a color because I love that look. Yes, yes I am. My furniture is a dark brown and I keep leaning towards green and blue colors. I'm still looking for the bedspread I love and am having a hard time imagining the look that's me.

Why am I going to do this to myself? I don't know. Maybe because my room is going to be smashing when it's done. Suggestions are welcome as I am still in the brainstorming stage. Updates to come soon.

4 comments:

Zak and Weezie said...

You should check out IKEA they have a plethora of duvet covers that can accurately express what you are envisioning, and even insipire new ideas.

P.S. I am über excited for your approaching visit, just wish you were stating longer.

Ann said...

Finger painting eh? You should try pudding painting I think you will be equally satisfied. And if we did have a paint fight I would so kick your trash! :)

Bethany said...

oooooooooohhh. cant wait to see the final product!!

Brandi said...

WOW.. now THIS is a project! I agree, there is nothing worse than scraping off wallpaper. I'm excited to see the finished product. P.S. so sad that you can't come to the Mother Land with us, but good luck with all that you are doing. LOVE YA!